Tuesday 7 January 2014

Rubber Matting

Time has been a major factor affecting me in this project. I only have 4 weeks to complete the project - half what I have been used to. The brief also mentions that the final product needs to be quick and simple to produce. I want to begin playing with materials as that is how I learn most efficiently. Trial and error helps me to make informed choices about my samples.
I want to use the structures of Geodesic Dome and ideas about geometry and places of worship as starting points. I found some scraps of rubber matting whilst rummaging through an old box of materials in my house. The shape of it initially caught my eye as the square forms directly reflect upon my research.
I started to play around with the scraps that I had found and began to pair them up with other found materials to begin the experimentation process.


I began by bunching material together and photographing different angles. I want to explore 3D as well as 2D.  I then started to build first using safety pins and explore the properties of the rubber matting.


I am very interested in surface. This materials gives me lots of options to explore as it is a versatile material. Negative space is important to consider when using this surface.




Next I want to develop a colour pallet as this is necessary in relating the project back to the brief. Using Leutton Postle's colours as a theme I will be able to create samples that will slot into their collections and answer the brief.


1 comment:

  1. Rubber Matting and Rubber Flooring Make your Home and Companies Secure
    We provides you best high quality mats and floorings for you to secure, you don't ever seen this mats in very reasonable prices so don't waste your time just visit and buy online just on 1 call.Call Now: 01744 520 110

    ReplyDelete