Wednesday 29 October 2014

Chris Ofili & Machine Samples

This week I have been using the domestic sewing machines to analyse how I can use Aboriginal techniques within machine stitch. I don't feel as though I have had a productive week and as though these samples will help me in the long run of this project. It has been interesting to see how the machine can cope with certain stitches but I need to think more carefully before I use the machines, as I felt lost whilst I was working.




I have also been looking into Chris Ofili’s work this week. His work is very personal to him in the way that he uses influences of his family’s culture and eclectic colours to form a narrative.  His collection Afrodizziac (1996) reacts to settling into an alternative culture and how he copes with keeping his traditions alive. I want my work to look fairly abstract yet have a strong personal relevance. I can use Ofili’s ideas as influence in terms of how he uses culture and memory to inform painting.
Chris Ofili Afrodizzia 1996

These are two other examples of Ofili's work. I really like the line work and abstraction here. The stylistic representation of personal memories entices the audience in, and still leaves us wondering what is going on inside his brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment