Wednesday 5 November 2014

Symbolism




This week I have started to introduce colour into my drawing. Most Aboriginal works include a simple colour pallet made up from found materials and the natural environment. I have chosen to start out by using a simple set of colours (black, white, yellow and red). Also this week, I have been looking into Aboriginal symbols and line work and trying to get it down on paper. I have found a few examples online of Aboriginal codes from varying regions.


The interpretations of symbols varies across the culture but it is a starting point to think about how I can create symbols to illustrate my memories.

Dot paintings are symbolic of the bush/food whilst circles represent waterholes/meeting places. I used french knots here to show the Aboriginal influence within embroidery and how I relate the themes into my own practice.


I have also begun to develop my own set of symbols this week using a memory of a day spent at Hot Water Beach. I described the day in detail to another, who wrote notes of what I said. I tried to be as descriptive as possible, then when the notes were read back to me I was able to draw. I found the experience to be useful in helping me to unpick the memory in my mind and to begin to formulate a relevant and personal code.


No comments:

Post a Comment