Wednesday 12 November 2014

Aboriginal Coding


In the last week I have been researching further into symbolism and story-telling within Aboriginal artwork. I have discovered online a series of images that could be used to decode the stories within the work. Using this, I can begin to develop my own experiences into stories. I have been experimenting further with drawing to develop the composition of my samples, into my own form of abstraction. I really like how without the code my drawings and samples will look meaningless yet to me there is a great deal of personal relevance.

This mark represents a journey line and the circles represent significant stops.

A walk I went along the pancake rocks in New Zealand.

This represents an evening I spent making a bonfire on the beach with some friends. The circle with lines coming out represents a meeting point. Circular lines in the middle represent smoke. U/N shapes represent women/men. Contour lines on the outside show the shape of the land around.


Composition developments from my initial sketch.


I like the shape and form that is beginning to take place. Next I want to move onto developing my own code that will run consistently throughout so that my journey will be documented. I can see myself looking to 3D and investigating alternative grounds for embroidery.

No comments:

Post a Comment