Wednesday 10 December 2014

Bondaweb

This week I have been experimenting further with using Bondaweb. Bondaweb has a glue like surface to it that when applied to silk, creates a flat finish. The effect almost looks like a slice has been taken from the fabric. I have found silk to be the most effective in this technique due to its delicacy and natural fibre content. As the glue heats up, the silk melts into it making a 3D surface appear flat.


Here I have gathered the silk before layering Bondaweb over the top. The effect shows a flat gathered surface with a smooth finish. I want to explore how changes in manipulation of materials can alter the tactile qualities of the surface.


Here I printed a bonded surface over a series of gathers and then pulled the fabric back to its original size. The surface left behind shows which bits were melted leaving a rough and patchy surface. I prefer the smooth surface as it feels like something I can work into. This sample feels disjointed and accidental.



I have begun to use a circle shape for the glue as this creates a negative space around the object where the reaction of glue can be seen and measured. I like how there is an unaltered area of the silk by which the reaction of two materials can be directly seen. Gathering into the circle, creates a surface surrounding it that could also be manipulated.


Next I want to experiment with how I can use this surface in relation to my previous work in the project. I am still interested in coding and Aboriginal works, so I want to explore how I can combine the surface with my concept so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment