Tuesday 20 January 2015

Primary Europe Preparation

Next week I will be making a pitch to the company Primary Europe for a commission. The brief is for a piece of art containing a red number 1. I feel as though my current project can be easily adapted to fit this brief, and the context mirrors my practice unit. Over the past weeks, I have undertaken a series of preparatory studies in order to fulfil the brief.


The client mentioned that they wanted the work having relevance to Manchester. I created a set of symbols that represent Manchester. My first idea was to have three circles with a red 1 in the middle. I used embroidery stitches that represent certain elements that in my mind make up Manchester, creating an aerial view with the red 1 in the centre.


This brief has helped me to develop a colour pallet that coincides with my project. I like how the subtle colours are highlighted with red.


I began to think further about the composition of the symbolism. I started to move away from the motif nature of the designs, to develop an abstract composition. By reacting to the folds in the fabric, it creates a structure through material experimentation.


I like the landscape aspect to the unfinished edges. I have been using Fray Check to prevent the edges from fraying. However, this is a delicate process and can leave a stain on the edge. I am proposing to make two pieces of work. One for the main wall in the conference room and the second for the kitchen space. The second one will contain just the one circle and have all of the Manchester symbols together.

No comments:

Post a Comment