Wednesday 9 April 2014

Mending Ceramics

From my charity shop hunt I have found a variety of old plates that I am going to mend. I began by smashing them all and glueing most of the pieces back together.


I realised a simpler way of fixing the thread to the ceramic surface. I have taped down the warp threads with Sellotape, and it worked wonderfully. I was then free to weave in the weft threads over the surface and tape to secure. AS only one side of the ceramic will be on display, this has made it a quick and tidy way of presenting my work. I then started to darn over the holes in red thread. I wanted to use the same thread throughout the project so that there was a theme running through. I like the symbolism of red and i feel it reflects upon this project through anger and the concept of breaking the plates.




I like the arrangement that these photographs show. I can imagine them being up on a wall in this formation. I was most pleased with the two plates that broke with holes in the middle as this replicates my paper samples the best. I want to continue before the exhibition with this until I get 10 samples that I am really happy with.




No comments:

Post a Comment