Thursday 15 May 2014

19th Biennale of Sydney: You Imagine What You Desire

Some of the highlights of my day at the Sydney Biennale.

Museum Of Contemporary Art Australia

Hubert Czerepok Madness is Like Gravity 2012 Neon
This caught my eye because it is a quote from The Dark Knight. I like the use of this quote and the display that makes you feel a little mad when reading it.

Anne Lislegaard Oracles, Owls...Some Owls Never Sleep 2012-13 Animation 12mins
I loved these characters that seemed to react from one and other. I really enjoyed the eeriness to the piece and although it made me uncomfortable, I couldn't stop watching.

Roni Horn Ten Liquid Incidents 2010-12 Solid cast glass units
The delicate glass structures were filled with water and seemed to emulate bubbles to me. Great care had been taken to ensure these structures reflected the light from a roof light. The light bounced around the room creating a delicately calm atmosphere.

This wasn't part of the Biennale but I really enjoyed this starfish sculptor suspended over the stairway.

Jim Lambie Screamadelica 2004 Gafa Tape
The shear impact of the colour and line drew me in instantly. I felt as though I could never be bored in that room

Cockatoo Island
Cockatoo Island it self was a hugely inspiring place, a former convict prison and international shipping yard turned into a world heritage site. For the duration of the biennale it has been converted into area containing many unique installations.


Mikala Dwyer Smoking, Drinking Garden 2006 mixed media installation
I loved this use of space and air. The structures floated around the room looking weightless. They also became very interesting to photograph as well as mesmerising to watch.

Eva Koch I am the River 2012
Many critiqued this piece saying, 'why don't you go to an actual waterfall?' I however found it enchanting in the huge warehouse. Standing alone making a monstrous noise, of galloping horses. The juxtaposition of the sound of horses and the visual of a waterfall meant that it wasn't just a waterfall I was looking at. 

Some Images of Cockatoo Island



No comments:

Post a Comment