Thursday 8 May 2014

Image and Interpretation

For the next painting project, we have been instructed to paint a large scale piece.

  • It has to be divided into 3 parts so the total area reaches 1.5mx1.2m
  • All components of the piece must be stylistic reinterpretations of exactly the same form
  • Each part is open to reinterpretation 
  • The aim is an interpretation of an image as a visual text and its reinterpretation as visual subtext made manifest through their junta-positions together
  • conceptually, the project is concerned with seeing the philosophical, metaphoric and or poetic layers of meaning and substance beneath any superficial narrative and reading of the depiction of for example still life forms in a painting
  • The final work needs to be viewed as one
This project begins with confusion. It has taken me some time o get my head around what I am expected to produce. 
Rene Magritte The Treachery of Images 1929

Magritte's painting The Treachery of Images is an example of what I am expected to produce. This work shows a pipe then underneath is the text, 'this is not a pipe' because it is a painting of a pipe. The subject has been portrayed in two ways here, through text and image. I need to conduct research in order to figure out how I can approach this subject. My initial thoughts are that I want to use the human form as a subject as i feel this can be portrayed in a variety of ways to reflect emotion and state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment