Wednesday 11 March 2015

Building


I spent this last week starting to build my installation. I have been investigating which knots and materials work best to communicate my concept. I asked woodwork to make me a metre square cube that I could use to put my work into and begin to create my installation. I ordered 60m of 20mm hemp rope. However I did not expect it to be so difficult to cut and tie. The ends also need attention as after I managed to cut it with a hacksaw, it began to fray. I need to find a solution to this problem otherwise the whole thing will look unfinished and potentially fall apart.


Shining a light onto the ropes produced abstract shapes within the space, I like this effect as it reflects the identity of the work onto an individual, referencing a barcode. I will need a high intensity light in order to create vivid shadows, but depending on the space of the final install, will determine the level of light needed and the level of shadows that can be produced. This rope is a 9mm polypropylene. It is very cheap and used in the construction industry. Due to its completely man made fibre content, it doesn't hang very straight but does block out all light producing strong shadows on surrounding walls.



Here, I have begun to manipulate the colours using Photoshop. I am interested in investigating dying the rope to create a colour palette, but am conscious of including unnecessary colour. The hemp I used has a natural colour quality to it that would be a shame to dye over. It is also very thick so dye may not take to it. However a smaller 10mm rope would hopefully dye easily and create a visually appealing hanging.

No comments:

Post a Comment