Wednesday 8 April 2015

The Art Maze

The Art Playground, a collective based in Cheltenham, has commissioned me to create an installation for a maze made of art. The concept is that every wall and dead end is a different artwork. I was given two weeks to assemble and install the art work which proved to be challenging, but a brilliant experience in learning about working to commission and realising a vision.


I chose to create an installation based upon my latest work. I hung over 200m of synthetic hemp rope and tied knots within it to display numerical data that represented my identity. Each rope had one knot that corresponded to a number that has been assigned to me. I wanted it to be an interactive environment that could be totally immersed in. Shadows played a key part within my research so I really wanted to get some sort of reflection on the surrounding walls that could enhance the environment.



I encountered a few difficulties as expected when assembling the piece. Health and safety restrictions meant I could not make the piece across a walkway as the light bulbs would have to be out of reach. I instead used a dead end space to slim the chances of people walking through. If I was to do it again, I would conduct more light experiments as I was disappointed with the shadows produced. I did not anticipate the maze to be so well lit, so my light bulbs weren’t as effective as I hoped. I learnt a lot about working to a tight deadline and found myself to work most effectively when I have an imminent deadline. My rope was delivered to the wrong address, but this was easily resolved as I had ordered it far enough in advance that it could be redelivered. I also had to think carefully about how I would hang the piece, as there would be an immense amount of weight on the surrounding temporary walls. I originally planned to use a metal frame, but quickly realised that this would not be easily transportable as I only have access to a small car to get to Cheltenham in. A metal frame would also weigh a huge amount and as the walls were made from donated wood, I could not guarantee that they would support the weight of the frame and the rope. To solve this, I used tension wires, which are easily assembled and transportable and meant I had more freedom to build the work into the site.


I received plenty of positive feedback from the exhibition, and have been able to evaluate my ideas and realise where I can take the project next. I want to make a pitch to the university for a main site in the final degree show and through creating this installation, I will be able to move my idea on further and think about other ways I can display my concept of numbers and data.




I used this commission as an opportunity to expand upon my own practice by collaborating to create a video of my installation. As part of Unit X we are encouraged to collaborate with other art students to enhance our practice and learn more about other disciplines. I collaborated with a third year photography student to create a video about my work for the Art Maze. I will use this video on my website and within presentations as it displays my installation better than static photos. It was an experience to work with another person as I haven’t done this since first year. I encouraged him to film the ropes independently and then we sat down together to edit and refine the footage. I wanted the film to be a journey through the work so we began with close up shots and then slowly moved out to a final shot of the full piece. He encouraged me to incorporate text as this would add a more professional look.

No comments:

Post a Comment