Wednesday 4 March 2015

Material Experiments

This week I focused on experimenting with materials and coding. I played with how knots can be used in a variety of ways and how different rope affects them.

This is a sketch of knots as text. Each thread could define a set of numbers therefore representing a person. In this case, a set of students represented through their student numbers.


I also undertook a variety of studies to explain how the work could be presented. Shadows are an important element to the work as it will create an environment that will reflect the data onto individuals.

My installation could be displayed horizontally or vertically depending on site and rope. I want to experiment creating both kinds of environments to see which is most effective at communicating my concept.

I also conducted a series of material experiments in order to find out what would work best for knotting and presenting my ideas about identity and data.




This knot is called the chain sinnet. It is a decorative knot mainly used to alter  length. I like how it can increase indefinitely and reflects upon the text and forms of language I have been researching. This is my student number shown through a series of chain sinnet knots. I like the shape of this knot and feel it could produce an interesting set of shadows, however, it uses a lot of thread and is difficult to tie with larger ropes.

No comments:

Post a Comment