Thursday 26 February 2015

Unit X


For my final project of third year I chose to expand upon the theme and concept that I was investigating in the practice unit. I want to further investigate how information can be communicated and alternatives to a written text. My starting point for this came about through an ancient Incan Quipu, which was used to communicate numerical data across the country. It is a series of knots within ropes, with the size of the knot corresponding to a number.

Incan Quipu

Knot experiments


I used this to address the issue of how in contemporary culture, numbers are assigned to us to define us. I have made a long list of all of the numbers that reference me and used this knot system to visually illustrate myself. I feel through material experiments and colour development, I can create a large-scale installation that is personal yet informative. I am going to make a pitch for the vertical gallery in the art school, as this is a large open space with plenty of windows that can cause shadows to create an environment that illustrates my concept.




This installation by Swiss artist Zimoun using motors and wood that systematically move up and down. The sound created by the wood is surprisingly soothing and satisfying. I like how this can be walked around and absorbed by the viewer and the rhythm and sound creates an environment of repetition and interaction. I want to further investigate how installation can be used to show an idea and absorb and audience within it.

I have also been researching into alternative written texts and languages. Morse code is an interesting one as it is not only a visual but a sound. I illustrated my student number, phone number and ucas number using morse code. I like this printed surface and how it references sound. I would like to develop a way of linking sound and visuals together if it is necessary to at a later stage.


No comments:

Post a Comment