Wednesday 14 November 2012

Weaving Samples

After the process of preparing the loom, I started to weave last week. Today I finished my sample piece  and tomorrow I shall complete one smaller final sample. In this sample I was learning weaving techniques and processes, and playing with colours and compositional ideas for my final sample.

I really like the 'Crater' pattern shown above and below. I also like using floats in the weave as this creates a surface that can be cut. This reflects my journeys project through photographs and sketches that I have done based upon architecture. 






My Final Weaving Sample


 

I finished my final sample using the left available warp threads. I thought a lot about composition and colour when working this sample. I was especially thinking about the contrast of light and dark as well as creating shapes to reflect my drawings.
Next I want to play around with finishing the sample. I want to investigate the results of washing and steaming on the yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment