Sunday 2 December 2012

Evaluation of Origins Unit



From the beginning of the project, my work has progressed mainly through drawing and entering the knit and weave workshops. I have tried to keep drawing throughout in order to give me a clear notion of what to reference within the workshops. I have translated my drawing work loosely into knit and weave to give my samples further depth as well as a context. My work in this unit has been based upon a journey of walking down a street as well as a translation from light to dark. I feel like this theme of architecture comes through within my samples as I found it quite simple to reflect upon the geometry of my drawings within the workshops.

By constantly having a source to work from I was able to edit my ideas by thinking through which examples would translate well into the workshops. I enjoy drawing and I feel that it helps me a lot in the development stage. This is a skill that helps me to move my work forward and in future I know the importance of having something first hand in which to work from.
By including resources from other areas of interest, I was able to develop my work further and think more laterally about what I was doing. By the end of the project I found myself recreating drawings less and thinking further about how far I could take everything so that my samples had more context and value.



At the beginning of the project I don’t feel like I was allocating my time wisely enough to generate enough ideas. As the project moved on I became increasingly interested and engrossed in my work, and in doing so I began to work more often and efficiently. I became fascinated with both the processes of knit and weave and spent a lot more of my personal time in the workshops producing samples. I was focused on making samples that related to my work. My final samples were successful in reflecting this and I am more confident with the work I was producing towards the end of the project as opposed to the beginning. I struggled when I wasn’t entirely sure of what I was achieving but as time went on my work had context and I created resources for myself for something to relate to.


No comments:

Post a Comment