Sunday 5 May 2013

Embroidery Samples

As a way of developing further, I decided to go back to embroidery to help myself. This is something I feel comfortable doing and I enjoy.
A few weeks ago I attended a Hand Processes work shop, in which I spent most of the afternoon 'wasting time' by mindlessly embroidering onto some denim. I hadn't intended to attend the workshop but ended up being involved. I enjoy doing embroidery but at the time I felt like I should of been working on the project rather than nattering in the studio.
During the workshop I produced this piece, I documented it as a thought of wasting time, but since I have photographed the marathon, I feel like the lines reflected the shapes and movement of the runners.

I expanded upon this and created a range of samples using this idea of couching lines and reflected upon the lines and shapes from my photographs.




I like what I have produced,  but I am starting to feel like this is moving away from what I am trying to portray. I feel like these samples don't reflect my ideas as much as I would like them to. I think I felt like incorporating embroidery because I had to include textiles, but realistically, I don't need to do that. I am better off reverting to my original images, improving them and seeing where that will take me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment