Saturday 7 February 2015

Evaluation of Practice Unit

Throughout this unit I have expanded upon and developed my skills in process and concept. I have been focused on creating pieces of work that reflect upon my time spent travelling. I developed a code that reads like a written language, forming a narrative to my work. This lead me to create an abstract series of motif style patterns that reflect upon my memories. Abstraction has heavily influenced me to create a visual map of my journey. My experiments with material has lead me to develop a surface that can be applied in a variety of settings. I have used this to illustrate my memories, but this could also be used as a print and as a surface manipulation.


I have also begun to think about the context of my work. The book, Mapping the Terrain, helped me to think more conceptually about my work and how I can display it. I entered two live projects, one commission based and the other design based. Although I did not win, I learnt a lot about presentation, consolidating my ideas, and talking about them succinctly. I have also been able to think further about life after university. I enjoy making so have volunteered to help with the company Cabasa Carnival arts in the coming weeks. I hope to continue to enter commission based live projects including the vertical gallery opportunity for the degree show.


In the next unit I would like to develop upon the concept of communication and investigating other cultures. My starting point will be the Inca communication method known as Quipu. This is a series of ropes with knots, which reads like a written language to transfer messages across the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment