Monday 17 March 2014

Finding things to Mend

I now know where my project is going; I want to explore mending everyday objects and how this can be achieved through darning.
I want my work to make a statement about 'mending' and how everyday objects don't necessarily need to be thrown away.

I started my search in a skip. Here I found a students ceramic works that had been discarded. I jumped at this opportunity to re create one mans waste.


I took a hammer to these two pieces to break them apart. I then used a drill press to put holes into them in order for me to sew them back together. I came into some difficulties here as drilling through ceramics is not an easy task. Once the piece has been glazed, the glaze creates a glass like surface which is difficult to drill through.


The brown piece wasn't thick enough and every time I tried to drill through it, it shattered into more pieces. However the blue piece, took to the drill quite well and I was able to sew it back together.

I am pleased with the outcome as it has given the piece a new direction and has recused it from the skip. I want to experiment further with using recognisable objects so that when mended, the context of the project is more clear through the objects them selves.
I also began to experiment with stitches, thread and mending further found objects.



Next I want to play around with using household ceramics such as plates and bowls as I feel like this is what the project needs to be clear about the message I want to convey.



No comments:

Post a Comment