Tuesday 11 March 2014

Yoko Ono - Promise Project

In 2013 Yoko Ono performed a piece entitled Promise Piece. In the performance, Ono breaks a large ornate ancient vase on stage. She asks members of the audience to take a piece each on the promise that they will all return to the same place in 10 years time to reassemble the vase.




This idea of promising to fix things is something that I feel I can relate to. I have so many possessions in the back of my wardrobe that I have promised myself one day I will fix them. I don't know if i ever will, but I like to believe that one day I will. I feel like as an textile artist, I collect things and never wish to throw things away. I also love this idea of fixing ceramics, we all have had that moment of anger when we've broken a plate. The moment right after it breaks when you wish you hadn't of knocked it over but the knowledge that it is broken forever.


I like this idea and want to think about how I can explore fixing ceramics using thread. I believe that in using thread, it will encourage the notion of mending and explore in what ways things may be mended. Traditional craft methods such as darning could be a good starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment