Wednesday 5 March 2014

The Mending Project

For my first project in Australia I have been given the title of 'Mending'.
After having a break from work to move across the world I am ready to get back into the swing of things and explore this project as well as my new surroundings.

I am really excited about this title, already I have lots of ideas about how I can translate 'mending' into visuals.
My tutor gave us a starting point in the form of Lee Mingwei's 'Mending Project'

Lee Mingwei, The Mending Project (2009 – 2012)

·      First shown at the 18th Sydney Biennales. 
A variety of 'broken' objects were brought in by members of the public and 'mended' by artist.

I like this idea of mending & recreating something new from something of a disposable nature.
There is a certain currency of mending – handwork, women's work, sentiment. Care and attention of fixing things for others.

FIXING / JOINING / REPAIR – How far can ‘mending’ go? 

I am looking forward to the idea of fixing things - even if they don't need to be fixed. We live in a throw-away society today and we are all guilty of buying clothes for a single wear, or throwing away our possessions after one use. I want to address this issue and think about what I can 'mend' that will symbolise this.
I believe that some of the key words in Lee Mingwei's project are 'broken' and 'mending'.
I want to explore how and what I can 'mend'.

No comments:

Post a Comment