Thursday 10 October 2013

Adding Colour

When flicking through my sketchbook I found myself to be sad about the lack of colour. I want to introduce colour before I start using the sound to create drawings. I decided to line up all my colours inks and paints and then freely pick up the colours I felt were relevant to the music. I have narrowed down my choice of music to two songs now, Boom Bip and Daft Punk. I want to compare these two songs to see how colour, line, tone and shape will differ with different music.


I produced these sketches as a starting point for including colour


Left - Daft Punk, The Game Has Changed
I find the Daft Punk song to be very dark and scary. I wanted to use colour to create a mood as well as tell the story of the song. I found that using long brush strokes and blending the colours created the right effect.

Right - Boom Bip, Roads Must Roll
This song is more static, I see lots of negative space within the song as well as bright tones and harsh movements.

I have also produced some larger sketches to help me get out of my sketchbook.

Boom Bip. I am happy with this sketch, I like a mixture of tones within the piece. This is the colour pallet that I want to take forward for this song.

Daft Punk. I think the colour pallet for this one needs more work, the yellow is too strong here.


I am happy with these results so far. I want to experiment further using the photocopier at enlarging the images and creating compositions from the areas I like the most. I feel like this method is helping reduce   and consolidate my ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment