Wednesday 2 October 2013

Visions of Sound

Selecting the Brief

I read through all of the briefs for this project before selecting the Visions of Sound brief. It didn't take me long to decide that is was the brief I want to follow. I love the idea of using sound to create drawing and felt like this project will allow me to be as experimental and expressive as possible. I can see less boundaries with this brief and want to explore how sound can become something visual.

Starting Out

I begun by listening to all of the possible songs. Initially I found merits within all of the songs so i began to visually respond to each of the songs individually to help me make an informed choice about which one I wanted to pick. I begun by simply using charcoal, paint and ink. I closed my eyes and used my hand to make the marks of the songs. I repeated this with all 4 songs and played around with using my left hand as well as my right to create loose marks and take away my natural movements. I enjoyed the raw qualities that came out of the initial sketches. I retained myself to monochrome initially so that I could focus more upon the marks I make.

    

Road must Roll by Boom Bip           The Game has Changed by Daft Punk

    

Nimrod by Sir Edward Elgar         Gantz Graf by Autechre


I intend to play around with my initial sketches to see where the imagery can go. I imagine using a wide variety of colours, enlarging sections, putting things on wall. Scale is something that I am also keen to play with.


No comments:

Post a Comment